Monday, October 26, 2009

How did my kids turn out Super?


Where do I start to explain or try to understand myself, how my children turned out so good?  They aren't the most mannered, but they have an enormous respect for their parents.........Daddy and Mommy, and for all elders.  Last Friday I was witness to a 4 year old child lashing out at his mom, he was so upset about having to share a toy.  He was so angered, to the point of calling his mom a bad word.  I couldn't believe my ears, and I couldn't believe that the mom took no action to change this behavior.  I'm sure it wasn't the first time this had happened.  The child is clearly not reprimanded when he uses this language.  Once is enough for me, my children would try saying a word I didn't like and that would be the first and only time they would say it.  I would pull them aside or take them into another room, away from the group, and have a long talk with them.  I would always get down to their level so they could see my eyes and my facial expressions, and I would tell them how upset I was at their behavior and how I would not tolerate it.  I must admit that if it were something really unacceptable I would definitely give them a little pinch.  But, sadly now parents aren't doing any such thing.  Most parents are against any type of spanking or hitting.  Everything is now labeled child abuse.  How terrible that some kids are aware of this, and take advantage doing all kinds of bad things, all in knowing they will not get spanked.  I just feel very lucky that my children were always good and they understood when I said something was not acceptable, specially bad words.........those were strictly prohibited in our home.  Even the word "shut up" was prohibited.  We used "be quiet".  I always thought it sounded nicer. 

1 comment:

Tinsie said...

I couldn't agree more with you.