Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Growing Children

I always heard from other moms that the problems grew as the children grew.  I never believed it, I always thought my children would stay the same forever.  They were always such great kids, and mind you they still are.  But, and there is usually a but, they were right!, as my children grow and experience new things, so do the problems grow.  I have an 18 year old wanting to be an Adult; a little too soon for me to swallow that one.  I'd like for it to occur slowly, sort of like a baby learning to crawl and then walk.  It's just too much too fast for me.  I'd like to ease into the idea of having another adult in the house and knowing she is capable of doing adult things.  She's still my sweet daughter and I will always adore her, I just hope she knows it's scary for a parent to just let go completely all of a sudden.
On the other hand is my youngest son, who is 12 and going through one of many changes in life, he is leaving behind his childhood for that of a young teen.  I try to understand him and give him his space, but one thing I won't put up with is any type of disrespect.  I demand respect from everyone, and I will definitely get it specially from my son.  If not, well he will have to figure out life on his own terms, I will let him travel his own path and just have trust that God is looking out for him.  I have come to the awareness that as parents we do our best, after a certain age they are the ones responsible for their lives and for their experiences.  I hope this little fella will be smart enough to know there is nothing like family, and in life the most important thing is family.  I will just hang in there for now, and once again not take anything personal.

No comments: