Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Secretly Loving My Sons Pet


Today, like almost everyday, I went for a walk with my sons dog (Popeye). I usually start my morning at 7:15 and from then on I'm busy driving kids to school till 9:15 or so. That's when I come home, grab my i-pod, house key, dog leash and of course the animal (Popeye), and happily start off on a glorious walk in the glorious southern California weather. I have to admit that I am not an animal person and that I've come to realize that I am somewhat of a "user", yes indeed I accept that I use this poor animal for my selfish purposes. I never pay much attention to him during the day, I let my son be the one that gives him all the affection a dog might need, and I'm happy keeping it that way. But today as I walked with him I realized how I depend on him in some weird way; as I walk along with him on his little blue leash I come to ponder on the way I feel when I'm walking with him, and the way I feel when I don't have him. Need I say it? it feels lonely without him. Whoa! did that come out of my mouth? I actually feel lonely without Popeye? I guess I do. Walking without him is just blah, I feel lonely and insecure. Okay come on, really? what in the world would this small little dog do if anyone were to attack me? what could a dog that size possibly do? the only thing I can think of is throwing the dog at someone, but that my friends would be considered animal cruelty; so that's not happening. I wouldn't do such a thing. I live in a very safe place and there are always lots of people out there walking at the same time we do. Funny everyone knows him, as weird as that sounds, people know my dog.........my sons dog. They come up to us and say hi to him, it's like yeah people I'm just here to accompany him......he's the one that comes out for daily walks, I just tag along. Really, he's the star in our neighborhood, people know and worry about "Popeye". Okay to end this little moment of realization I just have to say that I foresee being very sad if Popeye leaves us someday, you know, go to dogie heaven. Now, I wonder, will I need a new dog to take his place? I still want to keep walking. I tell you! so selfish.

hey don't judge me! dogs love walks so he's not exactly suffering.

No comments: