Monday, September 14, 2009

My Dad's oldest uncle


So this past weekend we were called on Sunday around 12:30 and were told that it was my uncle's birthday (my dads oldest uncle). we were to arrive at his home by 1:00. I don't know how we did it, but we were there, not at 1:00 but sometime close to 2:00. Not bad for such short notice. We were greeted by a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen. His sister in-law and family had come from Mexico and were preparing a delicious dish called Birria. This is lamb and goat cooked in a very delicious sauce. It becomes so tender, that it practically melts in your mouth, the meat is the softest ever. Truly one of my favorite dishes. Maybe because my grandfather used to make such a delicious Birria, so I have memories of getting together at his house with all the family, to enjoy his Birria. I wish I had asked him for the recipe because now that he is gone, no one does it as good as he did. That's a sad thing, how our elders pass on and take with them a lot of the recipes we cherish so dearly. We had a nice time with Uncle, but he seemed a little quiet and tired. He's up in age so I don't blame him for not being so chirpy. I believe he turned 90 something.
Happy Birthday to him and may God bless him with many more years.

2 comments:

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Patricia,
It's very true that we miss people when they leave us with so many memories of what they were good at and how we enjoyed them...especially food...my mother was a good cook...she is no more...and I really miss her enthusiasm in trying out new dishes....

Roy

Patricia P said...

Cherry I'm really sorry to find out that your mom is not here any longer. But lets look forward to meeting with our loved ones someday. Enjoy life while we are here, we are just visiting here on earth. Life is great, and it's full of beautiful things.....many blessings.