Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Parents of the new century

This morning I'm dropping off my kids at school, and as I drive away I see the minivan of a lady I know, her kid and mine used to be friends when they were younger. But anyhow, what got my attention and shifted my thinking was the sight of the mom driving while the kid sat in the back seat talking on his Cell Phone. We are talking of a 10 year old! for Gods sakes, please let me in on the importance of a 10 year old chatting away on the phone that early in the morning.....while mom is doing her own thing driving him to school. Am I the only one out of the loop? when did it become the "norm" for a child to be on a cell phone? where did we lose ourselves to technology? when did parents stop talking to their kids on the drive to school? I feel so sad for that time that could mean so much in a child's life, those conversations with a parent, that later at my age I treasure so dearly, all those things my parents taught me and that now make so much sense. What will happen to these kids? who's parents didn't have the time or energy to engage in conversation with them. You know what? life has a way of coming around, and the tables will definitely turn at some point, usually it's when you are old and your kids don't have time or energy for you. You are the parent, you are the teacher......be careful what you are modeling to your child. Hey, it comes back around.
take care and take time to enjoy your children. Hear them out and be present in your conversations.

4 comments:

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Patricia,
You have brought out a very important thought...this is the trend even here in India...I treasure all the conversations I had with my parents...it makes my swimming through life easier today...I too take all care to talk to my child when we are out for a walk or a ride...thanks for this piece...it has brought in so much value...

Hope you had time to have a look at the Indian recipes I posted in the comments.And I believe you are still enjoying all the Shah Rukh movies...

Roy

Patricia P said...

I'm going to look at the recipes! I can't wait to spend some time with my daughter cooking in our humble kitchen. The biggest riches in life are the moments spent with loved ones. I will post pictures of our cooking night.
Thank You for the recipes.

I'm sure you have seen Khabi Kushi Khabi Gham. What a beautiful movie about family and the importance of the parents in the life of the children. also how as parents we make mistakes sometimes, but we can always ask for forgiveness and keep loving our children with all our hearts.
I love that movie. My daughter gave me the movie as a present for Mothers day. I treasure that movie. Indian movies are the best in the world. I wish America had such great films.

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Patricia,
It's really good to know that you have a very good idea on some of the good Indian movies..yes I have seen Kabie Khushi Khabi Gum...it has another big star in it...Amitabh...a person to be watched...

Enjoy the cooking...

Roy

Tinsie said...

I used to walk to school on my own, so didn't have any conversations with my parents that early in the morning. I did, however, have lots of chats with my friends - which I guess is what this kid's doing, only he does it on the phone. Personally I would be more worried about his brain frying if that's what he does every morning while being driven to school!

It appears that mobile technology took over young people's lives a long time ago. Scary.